Monday, September 10, 2012

Taphophile Tragics - DIY


William and Rose married in 1916, and had seven children: five sons and two daughters. Their eternal resting place - with one of their sons beside them - is a wonderful mix of European and Australian. Going back into their family history, it appears that Rose could be of Jewish descent. However, there is little on the graves to indicate that she took it at all personally. One interesting thing of the very little that I managed to discover about Bill and Rose, is that both their mothers had the maiden name 'Muir'. Now this could be a coincidence, or they could have been distant cousins, as has happened in my own family. Which may explain a bit!!



Now look at the wonderful texture on this double grave. Is there symbolism of some sort involved with the shells and the stones? Any ideas? And what of that shape on the headstone of Bill and Rose, the one shaped like something out of a science laboratory? Now, direct your eyes to the base of their headstone. See those two wee tea-pots. How wonderful are they? Finally, look at the embossed metal around each of the photographs. It is imprinted with shapes that I am unable to discern, but suspect have immense meaning.


Bill and Rose are spending eternity at Point Clare Cemetery, outside Gosford on the New South Wales Central Coast.


This is my contribution to the Taphophile Tragics Community.

This is my contribution to the Cemetery Sunday Community.

This post is also linked up to Graveyard Rabbits on FB.

5 comments:

SeaThreePeeO said...

What a beautiful stone and beautiful resting place. Nice to see ceramic photographs as I feel the 'humanise' the grave.

I suspect the stones and shells are there simply to keep the weeds down, but it does look lovely. I love the little teapots. I've not come across teapots on a grave before.

The embrossed shapes on the metal surrounds are ivy leaves. Ivy symbolises friendship and enternity.

Beneath Thy Feet

Anonymous said...

Nice post! These are certainly well-kept, which is nice to see. I had also thought they looked like ivy leaves --- very sweet.

Dina said...

Many questions here in these unusual details.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Fascinating features on this grave! Especially intrigued by the framing of the portraits! I see berries, but not so sure about the ivy leaves! My first thought was one of those large fancy, bow like collars overlaying a formal outfit.

VioletSky said...

the frames on the portraits are lovely. and I am glad to see there is no rust forming on them.