Monday, September 24, 2012

Taphophile Tragics # 40


I stumbled across this dedication during the Rookwood Necropolis Open Day yesterday, where I barely managed it out of the Independent Section. I wonder who 'F. Jenkins' was, yet admire the love they held in their heart for all those years.




* * * * *
Welcome to the 40th week of Taphophile Tragics.

Your contribution is most welcome. Please ensure that you include some details of the cemetery in which you took your photographs, and link directly to your post, rather than simply to your blog in general. This week, Mr Linky opens at 9:30pm Monday, Sydney time (GMT+10), and closes at 9:30pm on the Friday. When you can, please visit the other contributing bloggers to show your appreciation of their endeavours. Due to time zone variations and overcrowded schedules, some contributions are made later than Tuesday/Wednesday. As per usual, we are working with the Linky with thumbnails, and displaying the oldest entry first, with no randomising.

At the moment, there are three posts a week to this blog:
Mon - Research of an individual from the details on their headstone;
Wed - An example of funerary symbolism and its meaning; and
Fri - 'Six-Feet-Down-Under' highlighting an Australian cemetery/graveyard.
Join me if that sounds of interest.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting --- I assume F Jenkins was a family member, and also wonder what happened to poor Winifred. I appreciate how the third photo shows how small this is, but how well tended it is, too.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the second comment .... just wanted to thank you for hosting -- I look forward to this each week, and seeing what everyone posts. :)

Julie said...

No problem with a second immediate comment, Jo. I often do that myself, when something else occurs to me.

The zoomed out photograph was to show you how isolated this grave 'appears' to be, through the dearth of headstones. I think that entire area is filled with plots ... and quite probably plots of young children.

I think that F. Jenkins was either a brother or a sister, but was not able to garner any evidence.

Dina said...

Hi Julie. Sorry I've been away. So many visitors from abroad needed attention. I see there is a lot to catch up on. You are really taking this taphophilia seriously!

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

A poignant memorial, Julie...
Thanks for hosting.

SeaThreePeeO said...

How tiny and isolated. I suspect much like yourself that F Jenkins was a sibling.

Beneath Thy Feet

Halcyon said...

Interesting stone. Too bad little Winifred didn't seem to fare well in her new land. :(

Julie said...

It was probably small pox, Halcyon.

Jack said...

Just two years old. A shame. I am going with the idea that F. Jenkins was a brother, and as his time was coming to an end, he wanted to honor the sister he lost many years ago.

More of the explanation for my post is here: http://hartforddailyphoto.blogspot.com/2011/09/anesthesia.html

Julie said...

Jack, I had figured it to be a brother, too, as what woman of that age would work with concrete like that.

CaT said...

aarghh. it was quite early when i started today's post. then i got lost in the internet. reading, reading and reading. and then i didnt know what to write anymore...
and now... tim is asking me what on earth im doing... :) time to sleep!