Sunday, October 21, 2012

Taphophile Tragcs # 44


Andrew Marvell wrote 'To His Coy Mistress' during which he was trying to convince her to get into the sack with him! He included these lines which resonate even today:
But at my back I always hear
Time's winged chariot hurrying near;
And yonder all before us lie
Deserts of vast eternity.

Fossicked for in the Presbyterian Section, Rookwood Necropolis, Sydney, New South Wales
* * * * *


Welcome to the 44th week of Taphophile Tragics. Your contribution is most welcome. Please ensure that you include some details of the cemetery in which you took your photographs, and link directly to your post, rather than simply to your blog in general. This week, Mr Linky opens at Twelve Noon, Sunday, Sydney time (GMT+11), and closes at Twelve Noon on the Friday. I apologise for my lack of activity at the moment, and my failing to visit you all. If you are a member of the City Daily Photo community you will understand, I hope, what is occupying my time.

6 comments:

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

I like the illustration of the dictum "tempus fugit" in the form of the flying hourglass, Julie.
Thanks for hosting.

Mark R said...

These symbols are clear signals to those who understand them; and I suppose, in those days, people would have immediately understood this one.
It is only nowadays that it seems mysterious...

SeaThreePeeO said...

Beautiful carving and equally beautiful words. I wonder if they worked and would still work today

Beneath Thy Feet

hamilton said...

One of the few pieces of poetry from high school that I can still recite by heart!

CaT said...

i like the flying hourglass very much!
and am happy nick already wrote that, as i coulnt find the word hourglass... :)
week 44 already! how fast is time running indeed!

Dina said...

Shalom Julie, thanks for all the work you are investing for City Daily Photo.

My contribution to TT today is not a grave, but an anthropoid coffin PENCIL HOLDER. Can you believe they make such things??
Anything for a buck, I guess.